Love Letters to Wellington

Love Letters to Wellington

Sunday 6 October 2013

A Humpback lesson?


Thirty days hath September, thirty things we remember … (#21 of 30)

One day when I was walking along Oriental Bar, I was amazed to see a humpback whale (I think) swimming out in the harbour. It was such an unusual sight that it got me thinking of why Europeans first came to this area which was to set up whaling stations on Kapiti and over at Port Underwood. Then the waters must have been thick with these magnificent creatures. So while it was great and grounding to see this connection with history, as I am a historian and these things interest me, I was rather sad that there are now so few of them that sighting one is an extremely rare event. A lesson to be learned? (Paul, Deputy Director)

Stay tuned for our daily stories throughout Wellington’s Heritage Month 2013 - where staff and volunteers share one of their favourite stories of the Wellington Region.

No comments:

Post a Comment