Love Letters to Wellington

Love Letters to Wellington

Saturday 15 February 2014

Trying to make a difference for indigenous communities


I just arrived in Wellington 6 days ago and am enjoying walking around the city. Am visiting Museums to get a crash course on NZ history and it's contemporary issues. I'll be studying in VUW until early 2016 and am hoping to write freelance on the side. I came to NZ to study the socioeconomic and political tensions between indigenous communities and the industry, and to observe what "sustainable development"really means. I'm originally from Indonesia and was a travel writer there, but by coming here to Aotearoa, I hope to learn to someday be able to do more for indigenous communities back home than just write about them in the media. I also hope to travel this beautiful country and get to know Maori communities in different places to learn how they fight for the survival of their culture and land rights in the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment