Love Letters to Wellington

Love Letters to Wellington

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Racking up the miles


Thirty days hath September, thirty things we remember ... (#9 of 30)

When I first started work - it was quite a long time ago - the trams were the main form of transport. I got up each workday morning in time to walk 10mins to the tram. I then caught the first tram from Karori at 6.30am down to Government Buildings, then ran to the station to catch a train to Petone. At Petone, I caught an Eastbourne bus to Gracefield on the other side of the valley and walked (or often ran!) up the road for 15mins to the Public Works Depot where I started at 8am. I was undergoing training there to be a mechanical engineer. At 4.30pm, another brisk walk back to the bus stop. Off to Petone to catch the train. On arriving back in town I had to attend night school 4 days a week. I caught the tram back home at 7.30pm or 9pm. On arrival at home, my dinner was waiting! Tumble into bed and repeat this the next day - for four years! I must say however that the training I received stood me in great stead for the rest of my working life. (Glen, Volunteer).

Stay tuned for our daily memory posts throughout Wellington's Heritage Month 2013 - where staff and volunteers share one of their favourite stories of the Wellington Region.

No comments:

Post a Comment